Sunday, September 19, 2010

Locked Out

Anyone who has been at BHS for more than a few months has realized that the locker system, and even lockers themselves, aren't the most useful tools for our academic learning. Personally I didn't even use a locker until this year, and that was only because my doctor told me that I had to "find a locker of get a back-brace." Often times, the lockers we are given are out of the way, close to zero of our classes, or simply in areas that we'd personally rather avoid. However, until this year that wasn't much of a problem. If you weren't assigned a locker that worked to fit your needs, you could pick a different one and simply go to your homeroom teacher and register your new locker. but this year things are a bit different; the locker you are given at the start of the year is permanent and unchangeable, and though some might just figure "ok so i'll just choose a locker in another part of the school and no one will care," people who take this attitude are having their locks cut off their lockers, or simply being evicted because the locker is not actually theirs. This small change in the system is creating a million and one problems for students who have a locker that's in an out-of-the-way location. My only question is why the new system? What was wrong with a student being able to change their locker by a certain date? Why is registered locker switching now impossible? What are the drives behind this new system? I don't know the answers to any of these questions, the answers of which probably will explain this negative change for efficiency at the high school, but in the next few weeks I hope to be able to talk to the people who can tell me exactly why this new policy has come into effect.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if you want to go in this direction (too), but there are some pretty interesting rules and laws about searching lockers and about the privacy the students can and cannot expect when it comes to "their" lockers.

    Mr. F

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used a locker every year because of my back problems and it's never been the one I was assigned,

    ReplyDelete