Sunday, October 3, 2010

From the People

I think it's important, when attempting to understand a problem, to take into account, all of the people affected by it. This means that in trying to understand the problem with lockers at BHS, I have to actually look at the students whom it affects. In that spirit, I made a survey this past week to assess how many students actually follow the set guidelines that the school defines for lockers. the survey also takes account for why students don't use the locker's they're assigned. It is as follows:


  1. Do you regularly use a locker at the high school?
    1. Yes
    2. No
  1. Is this the locker you were assigned in homeroom in the beginning of the year?
    1. Yes
    2. No
  1. If no, why?

  1. If yes, do you find yourself wishing you could switch to a locker that was more convenient?
    1. Yes
    2. No
  1. Do you think the school’s policy of permanent locker assignments is ridiculous? Should students be able to pick a locker that works better for them, and then register with their homeroom teacher that they’ve made the switch?
    1. Yes, yes
    2. No, No
    3. Yes, No
    4. No, yes
Although I've only given this survey out to a few students, early results are showing that most students either don't use a locker, or don't use the one they were given because, as three students said, "It wasn't convenient." Though these results are only preliminary and represent about seven students, they do speak for the beginning of a trend that moves in exactly the direction I had thought it would. It'll be interesting to see in the next week if the results continue in this fashion, or if it was simply an anomaly. Still, I think I'll see perfectly predictable results come of it 

4 comments:

  1. Question 5 seems like a leading question, but the rest seem solid. Any luck finding out why the locker policy is what it is? Get on that this week. It's crucial to your study.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! You should also take note what grade the person is in who is taking the survey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gabe! There was a bit of confusion with who I was following but now I know I'm following you so hi! I just wanted to let you know that I was just speaking with MaryAnne McCarhty (head of security @ BHS) and she had some good info on the whole breaking into locker issue. I don't quite remember specifics of what she told me about it but if you haven't already, definitely try to get a hold of her....

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very clear survey, though I agree with Mr. Fischer that question 5 seems to be pushing in a certain direction.

    ReplyDelete