Kristen made me realize a very important fact about the survey I've been conducting in the past week. As I said, I had been interviewing both my friends and people I found in the library during D block, which I have free. The realization I came to is that that means that no freshmen have been included in my study. Since freshmen have study hall for all of first semester, none of them would have been around when I was giving out the survey. Now while it might seem like this wouldn't pose too big an issue, I think it really does. Freshmen, as we all know, are usually a bit intimidated by BHS, and a lot of the time will follow its rules a bit more strictly than some of the upperclassmen. What this makes me wonder is if freshmen are more likely to use the locker they are assigned, rather than just take a locker for themselves, in the fear that someone will try to take off their lock if they don't just go with their usual locker. In addition, I think its probably more likely for a freshman to make an issue out of not being able to get into his or her assigned locker, and the person occupying it will be evicted. I think I'll pose the survey once more but only to a group of freshman sometime during this coming week, just to see the difference, if their is one, in responses. I think that data will actually really help to balance out the response I see, though of course, I really have no idea as of yet, and it's not exactly an outcome I'm hoping for.

I wonder if it would even occur to a freshman to take a locker that wasn't assigned to him/her.
ReplyDeleteI think you're right about the larger question, though: what outcome are you looking for? what change are you hoping to make? the possibility that upper classmen (Srs and Jrs?) could choose their own lockers? Srs only? or do you have other goals? Not sure yet.
I agree with this, most of the people that are evicted are evicted by freshman or new students.
ReplyDeleteI agree, but regardless of the outcome this locker issue is affecting a very large percentage of the student body.
ReplyDelete